After 52 years at the heart of Oundle’s business community, Coles Construction and Coles Builders Merchants closed for trade in November. Paddy and Richard Coles acquired the West Street site in 1970 and set up the business as building contractors and joinery manufacturers before adding the builders’ merchants in the 1980s. The yard was originally built in the 19th century by Oundle Union Brewery, which was operational until 1901. The site now has planning for sympathetic conversion of the historic brewery buildings to residential housing. Paddy and Richard expressed gratitude for all the local trade and patronage over the years. In retirement they will remain in Oundle where they have had the pleasure of trading and working with so many colleagues, customers and friends over a lifetime in business.